Monday, February 20, 2012

GOON -premiere Montreal

I tried to start this post like 5 times, and I just didn’t know what to say haha…
OK. As I said before, I receive tweets on my phone. Last night I received 2 that excited me. Now I knew that Feb 20, was the première of Goon at the AMC, old Forum. I had entered a contest to try and win tickets, spoiler: I didn’t win.
I’m not sure which one I saw first but one was a retweet from Jay Baruchel saying he was going to be at the Apple store at 4:30, the next day (today). Since I was waiting to hear back from that apartment, I had nothing else to do and if I stayed home, I would have just drove myself crazy.
Now, I didn’t know what this event was exactly. So I showed up at the Apple store early, I thought there would be a crowd, there wasn’t. I didn’t want to stand around for the hour or so before the event. So I killed some time in Forever 21, which is always interesting. I don’t know why but it makes me feel so old, I think they should re-name it ‘It’s been Forever since you were 21’…and yet there are older ladies there. Don’t get me wrong they have nice clothes and some things are reasonably priced. I just feel old! haha
So after I was in there for as long as I could tolerate, I went back to the Apple store. There still wasn’t much of a crowd, of course it was hard to tell who was there to see Jay and who was there for the Apple products and help from the ‘geniuses’.
The top floor was closed and there was a sign at the bottom of the stairs, so we just hung around. Eventually we formed a line, I was 5th in line[!], which sounds awesome, but I was also the last in line for a good 10-15 minutes. haha at about 4:25 they let us go upstairs, I wasn’t sure what to expect, actually I thought it was just going to be a meet and greet. But when we got up there, there were stools set up and a stage with 3 chairs. The line headed right up to the front, of course, which gave me one of the best seats in the house. Front and centre! I’m not sure how many people actually showed up, but I’m guessing around 40, maybe.
We sat there for a while long and then someone came out and told us that it was going to be a discussion with Jay, Michael Dowse [the director] and Brendan Kelly [writes for the Montreal Gazette]. Also that it was going to be recorded by iTunes and would be available later and we were not allowed to take pictures or videos.
That sucked a bit, since I had a perfect view, however, I got to enjoy the whole thing.
Jay is more or less what I expected him to be, he came out in black and purple sneakers, black jeans and he had a dress shirt with a Montreal Canadiens tie on under a zip up jacket, like a track jacket.
The easiest way to describe him is geeky, awkward. In fact they talked about how he doesn’t really like going out and it was an inner struggle for him just to be there talking in front of us. [I read an article after that had a ‘this and that’ series of questions and one of the questions was ‘live game or home in front of a big screen’ and he said big screen.]
They talked about the movie of course, but every chance they got they talked about the Habs. In case you didn’t know Jay is a hardcore Habs fan. He even has 2 twitter accounts, one for his everyday banter and his ‘sportsface’ one that he uses during Habs games. He hasn’t tweeted during the last couple of games, I’m sure he is busy with the movie and all, but when he does you know exactly what is going on.
After the discussion they let us ask questions, and he was asked mostly about hockey but also about what he was working on and future projects.
After that they stuck around to meet us and for pictures:

The other tweet I got was from Georges Laraque, former Montreal Canadiens and actor in Goon. He confirmed that the Goon première was going to be taking place at the Old Forum at 7 and all the actors would be there.
Now I wanted to early but not tooo early. So it was 5:45 or so when I left the Apple store, so I grabbed a bite to eat and then headed to the Forum. There was a little more activity than usual outside but nothing crazy and there were 4 or so SUVs parked outside with ropes around them. So I knew I had missed them entre but I hoped I hadn’t missed them all together.
There was a roped off area, red carpet and a Zamboni with the actors faces and the release date on it.
I didn’t get very good pictures but I saw Jay, of course, his fiancée Alison Pill, George Laraque, Levi Scriber and Sean Willian Scott! I also saw John Lu from TSN, but he was past me before I realized who he was.
The only thing that could have made it a better day/night would have been to see the movie. But I will have to wait until FRIDAY for that! Hopefully I am somewhat settled and I can see the first show!
I also saw someone that I used to work with and haven’t seen in a year or so. I didn’t realize she lived in Montreal, for some reason I always thought she moved to Ottawa. But nope she is here! We plan to hang out again soon which is nice, but weird haha I’ve been alone in the city all this time that I kind of got used to it haha.
~believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment